Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Where I came from life was slow and easy and good.  Never mind that we didn't have much.  I really didn't know I was "poor" until I came to America. I thought my family was rich even without the gadgets, etc.,etc.. Hey we had running water, where our neighbors come to get some for drinking and washing and all that, a battery powered transistor radio, wohoo, where our neighbors flocked to our front porch after supper to listen to a favorite radio drama every night, except on Sunday nights. You see my family was one of the two households in the community who had those when I was growing up.  Do you understand now why I thought we were rich?

Fast forward to the present.  Honestly, I am overwhelmed with stuff we have in our house, in the garage, in the basement and even in the shed in the backyard.  And don't forget the attic. Who needs a big house where you cannot enjoy living there because your life consists of work, work, and more work to keep up?  I noticed, not only on my part but on others as well, that people in America love to fill their houses with junk.  We stuff our closets with clothes (that were never worn or worse, we didn't even know we have), shoes, purses, stuff, stuff and more stuff.  You know how I know?  Every Spring I go to garage sales and I too, hold garage sales myself.  People's basements and garages are filled with "stuff" and some even rent storage units to fill it with more stuff.  Have you noticed the storage facilities are popping up everywhere?  Although I am guilty to some degree, no I have never rented a storage unit to fill it up with stuff.

Okay, enough said.  Let's move on to the constant running here and there....non-stop.  The moment you wake up in the morning you hit the floor running and this goes on and on into the night.  Then it repeats the next morning.  You hardly have time to slow down.  Wait a minute - is this living?  You are probably imagining me shaking my head - and you are right.

I could go on and on about life here but I will stop.  I don't want to bore you about my whining.  Anyway, here we are (my husband and I) finally decided this madness have to end.  And we will start our journey back to the slow, take-it-easy, simple life I once knew.

FIRST STEP:  We are selling our house and everything in it.  Yup, it's on the market and we just got an offer today.  We submitted a counter-offer.  Tomorrow, Wednesday (even with a not-so-nice forecast) I am having a garage sale.  Wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment

SEVEN WEEKS AWAY FROM OUR TRIP BACK TO THE PHILIPPINES

 Hello everybody.  It's been a month since my last entry.  We are seven weeks out and then we are flying to the Philippines to retire, l...