Monday, November 20, 2017

Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery

The 2nd day we started out again. We headed to the 10,000 Buddha Monastery. For Mike, this was better than the Big Buddha. It was less touristy and there were fewer people there. We climb the stairs lined with Buddhas to the Monastery area. Each Buddha along the path is different and unique. And signs are posted reminding visitors to remember to respect the Buddhas.

















I was hoping if I kissed the water buffalo, the buddha would come to life but I guess it didn't work which I am kind of glad because he looked mean:



This one buddha has a very, very long arm.  He reminds me of the elastic guy on Fantastic 4:

T

This one is standing on a giant crab:







Flor reading about the monastery.  Well I can pretend to be reading..









Respect the Buddha


We ate lunch at the all vegetarian restaurant at the Monastery and Mike even enjoyed the meal (mom should be proud).

I have to learn to use chopsticks quickly as there were no spoons/forks available, except for the soup spoon.  But I somehow managed to finish my rice without problems.









As we headed down the stairs and back to the subway station, Flor's feet began to hurt. We decided to head back to the hotel so we could take a break and rest up for the rest of the day.

Afternoon at the hotel.  Little Toot taking an afternoon nap.

On a side note, we visited a Chinese cemetery before we found the 10K Buddha Monastery.  We thought we were in the right place because of the pagoda style structure that looks exactly the same as the structure of the 10K Buddha Monastery.  Because Hongkong is mountainous their cemetery is designed just like the high rise apartments.  The hill is steep but escalator and elevator is available for the public when visiting their dead loved ones.  One thing that amazed me though is that elderly ladies and gents can breeze through steep stairways while I am struggling and out of breath and I am younger than they are.  Doesn't that tell you something? LOL.

Thanks for following..please join us in the next post for the rest of the day's wanderings.



No comments:

Post a Comment

SEVEN WEEKS AWAY FROM OUR TRIP BACK TO THE PHILIPPINES

 Hello everybody.  It's been a month since my last entry.  We are seven weeks out and then we are flying to the Philippines to retire, l...