Thursday, March 10, 2016

I want my Maytag (followup)

In a previous post we discussed washing clothes (see following link). We are still in the process of building the house and we have a spot for the washing machine. But, we still do not have a machine and continue to do the clothes by hand. However, we do have an improvement (more on that shortly).







Before we left America, we had a garage sale and sold off 90% of the tools I had accumulated over 40 years of living (see following link). This included circular saw, oscillating saw, belt sander and an angle grinder. We sold them due to the power difference between the US and Philippines. The US is 110 volts AC and the Philippines is 220 volts AC. After arriving in the Philippines, I started shopping around to replace these four items. These items are expensive (circular saw for example was about $100). However, I did find a step down transformer here that cost about $70 and would adequately power these tools. In hind sight I should have shipped the tools here instead of selling them.

 http://midlifewandering.blogspot.com/2015/07/major-purging-getting-rid-of-these-and.html?spref=fb

Step down transformer

Bring in Harbor Freight, a discount tool supplier in America (I do miss Harbor Freight, and yes John O, Harbor Freight). I had my father buy the mentioned tools, extra blades, extension cords, rubber boots (hard to find my size in the Philippines), sheet rock screws (I use them for everything, Filipinos use nails) and some thrift store girl clothes to give to neighborhood kids). They placed the items in a balik-bayan box (see following link) and shipped them to us. Cost of tools, step down transformer and shipping was cheaper than buying the tools here.




After shipping the box, my parents sent us a message that the box was on the way and that there was something in the box that Flor would like. That item was a Universal wash board. It was immediately put to use and was the first item we used out of the box (trying to bring this post full circle now). I think (but not sure) that my parents sent the wash board as a gag. But, it is a very useful item, we use it every time we wash and greatly appreciate the wash board. (Thanks, mom)









Along with our high dollar drying system we are getting along with our laundry. However, we are still planning on getting a washing machine in the future.




Thank you for following.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SEVEN WEEKS AWAY FROM OUR TRIP BACK TO THE PHILIPPINES

 Hello everybody.  It's been a month since my last entry.  We are seven weeks out and then we are flying to the Philippines to retire, l...